Greytown Heritage Trust

 

GREYTOWN – NEW ZEALAND'S FIRST PLANNED INLAND TOWN

GREYTOWN'S HERITAGE SIGN  TRAIL

Greytown Heritage Trust

An hour north of Wellington, New Zealand, on the other side of the Rimutaka Range, is the Wairarapa plain and small town of Greytown – New Zealand’s first planned inland town. Many towns developed haphazardly, their existence and growth determined by the needs of settlers in the area and economic conditions at the time, but not so Greytown.

 

Greytown, along with Masterton, was the dream of a group of early Wellington and Hutt Valley settlers that working class families should be able to purchase their own land. In the late 1840s, Dr Isaac Featherston in his Wellington Independent newspaper called for the establishment of small farms, where the newly constructed bridle track across the Rimutakas entered the Wairarapa plains.

 

This led to the Small Farms Association with Joseph Masters (after whom Masterton is named) on the committee. He envisioned a Wairarapa where the fertile flat lands would be set aside to allow small farms to be established. He thought this scheme would allow villages to flourish, and the occupiers of the small farms would be able to enjoy schools and the ‘blessings of civilized society’. His message found support among the working class Wellington settlers.

 

By mid-1853 land had been purchased from local Maori and the Small Farms Associations rules were settled. There were to be townships, each with 100 one-acre blocks, with 100 40-acre farms surrounding the towns. The townships were to be bought from the Government and surveyed by the Association, who would, in turn, sell land to the members.

 

On or about September 1853 Donald McLean, the Chief Land Purchase Commissioner, bought 40,000 acres from Manihera te Rangitakaiwaho and Ngatuere Tawhirimatea of Waiohine, identified as Tauherenikau No. 4. The township of Greytown was surveyed and purchased by the Small Farms Association from the Government in the 1853-54 period. The location is in the Kuratawhiti Block which is part of the larger Tauherenikau Block. By early 1854 settlers were preparing to take the journey across the Rimutakas to their future holdings. On Thursday 23 March 1854 Thomas Kempton and his party of five arrived to take up land in Greytown, named after Governor Grey. The original town layout and road alignment largely remains today.

MORE GREYTOWN HISTORY

Greytown Heritage Trust

GREYTOWN'S HERITAGE WALK

This is a self-guided walking route of around 40 properties that can be done in Greytown using the brochure at right. Greytown's Heritage Walk is reproduced in full below. Use the buttons to skip to the three areas of Greytown.

 

Do you have history about your historic Greytown property? If so, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your history via the form at right.

NORTH GREYTOWN

WEST OF MAIN STREET

SOUTH GREYTOWN

EAST OF MAIN STREET

SUBMIT A PROPERTY HISTORY

HERITAGE WALK BROCHURE

CENTRAL GREYTOWN

Greytown Heritage Sign Trail
Greytown Heritage Trail Sign

GALLAGHER HOUSE, 56 MAIN ST

MEMORIAL PARK, KURATAWHITI ST

Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street

SACRED HEART CATHOLIC CHURCH, MAIN ST

FIRST POLICE STATION

Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street

ST ANDREW'S CHURCH, 63 MAIN ST

FORMER POST OFFICE, CNR MAIN ST & KURATAWHITI ST

Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street
 Greytown Heritage Trust
Greytown Heritage Sign Trail

THE BUTCHER'S SHOP, 67 MAIN ST

FORMER WAIRARAPA STANDARD OFFICE, 65 MAIN ST

Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street

FORMER BANK OF NZ, 75 MAIN ST

FORMER FORESTER'S HALL, 79 MAIN ST

Greytown Heritage Sign Trail
Greytown Heritage Trust
 Greytown Heritage Trust Heritage Sign Trail
Greytown Heritage Sign Trail at 80 Main St, Greytown

FORMER ST ANDREW'S CHURCH FORDELL

P.I.L.A. BUILDING, 80 MAIN ST

Greytown Heritage Sign Trail at Baillie House
Greytown Heritage Trust's Sign Trail

BAILLIE HOUSE, 101 MAIN ST

Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street
Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street

FORMER ROGERS & HALL MOTORCYCLE DEALERSHIP, 105 MAIN ST

Greytown Heritage Sign Trail at a historic house
Greytown Heritage Trust's Sign Trail

F.H. WOOD AUCTION ROOMS, CNR. MAIN ST & HASTWELL ST

107 MAIN ST

Greytown Heritage Sign Trail
Greytown Heritage Sign Trail

FORMER BOROUGH COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 110 MAIN ST

KOUKA COTTAGE, 113 MAIN ST

Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street
Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street
Shop front at 130 Main St

FORMER MASONIC LODGE, 115-117 MAIN ST

130 MAIN ST

BACK TO CENTRAL GREYTOWN

NORTH GREYTOWN

Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street
Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street
Greytown Heritage Trust

WYETT HOUSE,  12 MAIN ST

THE GREYTOWN HOTEL, 33 MAIN ST

Shy Cottage on Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street
Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street

39 MAIN ST

TURKEY RED HOTEL, FORMER BRITISH VOLUNTEER HOTEL, 53 MAIN ST

 

GREYTOWN'S FIRST SCHOOL HOUSE, 59 MAIN ST

 

SOUTH GREYTOWN

BACK TO CENTRAL GREYTOWN

MORE ON SOUTH GREYTOWN

Greytown Heritage Trust
Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street

BEY HOUSE (LUNGA), 119 MAIN ST

SOUTH WAIRARAPA WORKINGMEN'S CLUB, 120 MAIN ST

Greytown Heritage Trust
125 Main St, Greytown Heritage Trust Sign Trail
Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street
Wakelin House in south Greytown on Main Street

THE GREY FOX, 125 MAIN ST

 

WAKELIN HOUSE, 123 MAIN ST

 

BEARD BUILDING, 126 MAIN ST

SAMUEL OATES GUM TREE, MAIN ST

Greytown's Heritage Trail along Main Street

CLUB HOTEL, 138 MAIN ST

143 MAIN ST

163 MAIN ST

Greytown Trust lands Trust is on the Greytown Heritage Trust's heritage sign trail
Greytown Heritage Sign Trail

MORE ON GTL TRUST

COBBLESTONES MUSEUM, 169 MAIN ST

Greytown Heritage Trust
Greytown Heritage Sign Trail

ARMSTRONG'S SADDLERY, 174 MAIN ST

 

DRUMMOND OFFICE, 246 MAIN ST

 

© Greytown Heritage Trust 2017 | P O Box 169 Greytown Wairarapa 5712 |  Site by BoulderBay Design